Instagram is one of the fastest-growing social media platforms, and businesses use it extensively as a powerful marketing tool to expand the presence and visibility of their products and services. Over the last year, the total number of daily conversations between people and businesses on Messenger and Instagram grew by over 40%. For businesses, the opportunity to drive sales and improve customer satisfaction by having meaningful interactions with people through Instagram is huge.
Instagram allows brands to drastically expand their reach and connect with over 1 billion consumers on their smartphones. This new channel has unique offerings in messaging operations like Story mentions, exceptional potential for increased ad visibility, product shops, etc., which will enable brands to quickly meet consumer needs while utilizing the Conversational Cloud capabilities.
Benefits of Instagram
Effective engagement with creative Instagram features
Instagram is a hugely popular photo and video-sharing social media platform. Users can share photo or video posts and temporary Stories that live on their profile for 24 hours.
- Instagram Stories — Instagram Stories have a slideshow format that includes photos or videos, and they remain to live for a fixed period of 24 hours. This short-lived nature of content drives urgency. Stories enjoy a lot of visibility, displayed right under the Instagram logo at the top of a follower’s timeline.
- Photo and video sharing — Photo and video sharing will empower consumers to share images with agents to explain complex issues or requests quicker and more accurately.
- Ice Breakers aka Conversation Starters — Ice breakers provide a way for the consumers to start a conversation with the business with a list of frequently asked questions. A maximum of 4 questions can be set by the agents during the self-service-onboarding process in the Conversational Cloud.
- Quick replies — Quick replies are a group of actionable items (chips) that appear as part of the conversation. They create an easier, faster way for consumers to respond to messages. Instagram supports setting up to 13 quick replies are supported and each quick reply allows up to 20 characters.
- Secure forms — Secure forms allow brands to perform identification and authorization, safely share PII information to generate leads or perform a registration process during a conversation in a PCI-compliant environment.
- Auto messages — Automatic messages are messages that are presented automatically in the Engagement Window during a conversation to provide contextual information to consumers about the status of the conversation.
- Post Conversation Survey — Gather feedback from consumers and measure their success across all messaging channels with the Post Conversation Survey.
- Content moderation — Brands can allow agents to delete, hide and unhide public consumer messages on brand posts and reels from the Agent Workspace.
How conversations start
1. Direct Message - Consumers can directly reach the brand by sending a message in the direct channel. This creates a direct message conversation in the Agent Workspace.
2. Story Mention by the consumer - When consumers mention/ tag the brand on their own stories, it creates a direct message conversation.
3. Brand’s story - When consumers reply to the brand's story, it creates a direct message conversation
4. Comments on brand's posts - When consumers comment on the brand's posts, it creates a public message conversation.
Onboarding Instagram accounts is self serviced in Conversational Cloud. Before getting started, make sure your Instagram accounts are correctly configured to the relevant pages on Facebook. This needs to be done through the native apps. You must be signed in to the correct Facebook account on the native platform before proceeding.
1.) Navigate to the Management Console and search for Instagram. If you have Social active on your account, you can proceed to configure. Ensure all settings under the Configuration section on this page are turned on.
2.) You will land on the Instagram Configuration page. Click on Connect Account to get started.
3.) A new window will open where you will configure the account as you'd like to set it up. If you have previously connected a Facebook account to Liveperson then you can proceed to Continue with the same account. If you are setting this up for the first time, need to make changes to an account already set up or any other scenario, simply click on Edit settings.
4.) Select the Instagram account you'd like to connect to Liveperson. Click on Next.
5.) Select the Facebook page that the Instagram account are connected to. Click on Next.
6.) Ensure all permissions are turned before clicking on Done.
7.) Click Ok to close the window.
8.) Back on Conversational Cloud, you will be asked to select the Facebook page you previously selected once again. Click on Done to close the window.
9.) Your Instagram account is connected and presented in a table on the Instagram Configuration page.
10.) Click on the drop-down arrow to expand the table and turn on or off the settings as per your brand's requirement.
11.) Repeat the above steps if you need to configure more accounts or edit the settings for one that is already connected. Click on Done to close configuration.
- You can click on Edit under the Ice-Breaker column to edit the ice breakers for each Instagram page.
- To unsubscribe and delete an account entirely, click on the bin icon.
- There is an Instagram limitation of 7 days on conversation duration for direct messaging after the last consumer message.
Check out our Developer Center for more in-depth documentation. Please share your documentation feedback with us using the feedback button. We'd be happy to hear from you.