With over 2.4 billion monthly users and and billions of messages more being sent between people and businesses every month on Facebook, brands need tools to manage these interactions at scale. The Conversational Cloud seamlessly integrates with Facebook, offering brands the opportunity to reach consumers on one of the largest and most popular social messaging channels in the world.
Set up is easy and allows your agents to create ongoing connections with valuable customers right away.
The product will listen to:
- Public comments, replies and posts created on a brand’s Facebook public page
- Direct Messages (DMs) sent to the brand through Facebook Messenger
Capabilities for the agents:
- Reply to public messages such as comments and posts, including consumer mentions
- Mention a consumer in a reply
- Send direct messages (DMs) through Facebook Messenger
- Create internal (private) messages
- See an embedded view of the original public post in the social widget
- Supported message types:
- Text (including emojis)
- Text with link to initiate a direct message conversation (in the public channel)
- Gain access to bot and automation support
Liveperson offers even more capabilities for Facebook on top of the foundational Social Messaging capabilities mentioned here.
- Rich Conversation capabilities — High-resolution photos, files, content carousels, rich cards, quick replies, GIFs, audio messages and more provide an enriched messaging experience for consumers.
- Enhanced indicators — Read receipts and typing indicators tell the consumer when the agent is actively answering. The agent also benefits from knowing when the consumer receives the message.
- Simple bot integrations — Brands can plug their own bots into Facebook Messenger. Bots can then offer service and sales assistance to customers, with seamless transition to a human agent when required.
- In-depth reporting — Track and report on all Facebook Messenger interactions with detailed performance metrics within Liveperson’s platform.
- Secure forms — Secure forms allow brands to perform identification and authorization, share PII information to generate leads or to perform a registration process during a conversation in a PCI compliant environment.
- Auto messages — Send predefined messages about events that occur automatically in the conversation.
- Post Conversation Survey — Gather feedback from consumers and measure their success across the direct messaging channel with the Post Conversation Survey.
- Dark posts — Messages on promoted posts that do not appear on the brand’s page create conversations that are supported just like regular messages on Conversational Cloud.
- Multiple images in direct messages — Customers can share multiple images via direct messages.
- New social widget for Facebook — The new widget provides context of the parent post as well as the comment, both of which are linked to and can be directly opened in the native platform.
Under Facebook's page settings for messaging, brands can use the following features:
- Greeting: sends a response the first time a consumer opens a conversation with your brand on messenger.
- Response assistant: allows you to send custom instant replies to anyone who messages your page.
- Response time: displays SLAs you can customize yourself e.g. Typically replies within an hour.
- Offline response: lets customers know you are offline but will respond soon e.g. Hi, we’re away right now but we’ll get back to you shortly.
The messages above will display in the Agent Workspace. Just like messages sent by agents, they have a character limit of 640.
Subscribing your page to the Conversational Cloud before creating a button on the Facebook page is not possible. Please create a Facebook page with a button first and then connect it to the Conversational Cloud.
- Facebook Private Replies are currently not supported.
- European users: As part of Facebook’s efforts to comply with privacy rules in Europe, Facebook made changes to their APIs and restricted some information. European users will see the Social Messaging widget, however, the user information (Name, Image, Locale, Timezone) will not be shown.
- In the new Social Messaging widget, there’s an option to ‘Like’ a public comment/post of the consumer. If an agent is logged in with his private Facebook account on the native platform and is clicking the like button - it likes the post under his private account.
- Due to a limitations on Facebook, agent replies that are at the 3rd level (in the tree of comments under a post) might appear as 2nd level comments. We advise agents to tag the consumer in replies to ensure they are correctly notified of a response.
- You must have a Facebook Page and admin rights to that page. If you don’t have one, click here.
- Download the Facebook Messenger App: iOS / Android.
- Enable Facebook as a data source on your Conversational Cloud account
- Once done, the list of all subscribed Facebook pages will be displayed
- Each consumer private message (on Messenger) originating from any of these pages will generate a conversation in the Conversational Cloud
- Enable public capabilities: If you would like to receive conversations for any public message or comment on any of these pages as well, enable the toggle button under the "Public" column for the relevant pages.
Enable Public toggle on Facebook
Navigate to Manage campaigns and Engagements --> click on Data Sources → click on Facebook
Facebook via Data Sources
Press “Next”, to get to the Facebook configuration page. Enable the toggle button under the "Public" column, for the relevant Facebook pages. Click on the Facebook login button, and authenticate.
Click on the “Edit settings” button
Edit settings for Facebook login
Select the desired pages, and press “Next”
Select Facebook pages to connect to LP
Confirm the needed permissions, by pressing “Done”
LP permissions in Facebook
A window will be presented, with all connected Facebook accounts
Facebook connected accounts on LP
In order to make sure you are subscribed to the correct public events, you will need to unsubscribe from all pages (by clicking “Unsubscribe” per each page), then subscribe again. Click Done to complete setup.
Unsubscribe, then subscribe again
Brands and consumers can begin interacting over Facebook Messenger through multiple entry points, here are are some of the ways conversations can start:
- Facebook Messenger app: Consumers can begin conversations by searching for a brand directly within the Facebook Messenger app.
- Facebook business page: Brands can activate messaging capabilities on their Facebook business page, allowing consumers to click and start messaging.
- Button on website: Brands can embed a button on their website which invites consumers to message and launches Messenger.
- Opting in: Consumers can opt-in to receive purchase confirmation and updates via Messenger during the checkout process.
- Offsite engagements: Brands can embed a Message us button on ads, emails and other offsite locations.
In order for messages sent directly from your Facebook Messenger inbox (via a Facebook page administrator or automated message) to appear in the Agent Workspace conversation thread, you will need to assign an agent manager user to whom the messages will be attributed.
To create a new Agent Manager user, specifically for this purpose:
- On the Users page in the Conversational Cloud, click Add user.
- Fill in the user details, ensuring that the following parameters are included:
- Login name: connector
- Email: email@example.com
- Nickname: FB External User (or naming convention of your choice)
- Name: FB External User (or naming convention of your choice) Note: Text entered in this field will display as the name in the conversation thread.
- Password: A12345678
- Assign to profile: Agent Manager
- Click Save.
On the Facebook connector page, under Add a Facebook external user, simply select the Facebook External User profile you have just created and click Done.
Note: Please make sure NOT to select an actual agent user taking conversations here. Make sure to select the agent manager user (Facebook external user) you just created dedicated just to this purpose.
Please make sure NOT to select an actual agent user taking conversations here. Make sure to select the agent manager user (Facebook external user) you just created dedicated just to this purpose.
You can route visitors from your campaign to a maximum of 1 skill. To set up routing for your campaign to a specific skill, please contact your LivePerson representative with your Facebook page ID and the skill you would like it routed to.
Facebook Handover Protocol enables two or more apps to participate in a conversation by passing control of the conversation between them. This feature makes it possible for a Page to simultaneously use one Facebook app to build a 3rd party bot, outside of the Conversational Cloud, for handling automated responses, and use another Facebook app (Conversational Cloud) for customer service with human agents.
- By default, all messages are sent to the Primary Receiver app
- When control of the conversation is passed to another, the Facebook Messenger Platform will send messages from the conversation to it instead.
- Only one app may control the conversation at a time.
- All apps that do not have control of the conversation will continue to listen to the conversation by subscribing to the standby webhook event.
Please note: This feature requires enablement. Please contact your LivePerson representative for more information.
Click on the Facebook login button, and authenticate.
To edit account settings, click on the “Edit settings” button
Edit settings for Facebook login
Deselect the desired pages and press “Next”
Deselect Facebook pages
Enable/Disable permissions using the toggle button
Remove permissions for Facebook pages
Press Done. A window will be presented with all connected Facebook accounts. To unsubscribe specific pages, simply click on the “Unsubscribe” button next to each Facebook page you wish to remove.
Unsubscribe Facebook pages
Check out our Developer Center for more in-depth documentation. Please share your documentation feedback with us using the feedback button. We'd be happy to hear from you.