Getting started with bots
Want to take the quickest route to building your first bot? Try the Conversation Builder quick start tutorial.
Work with your brand’s design experts or LivePerson's conversational design experts to define a bot strategy and map out the use cases and flows you’d like the bot to cover. The bot should reflect your brand image and voice; we recommend spending some time creating a bot persona that matches your brand's personality. Key questions include:
- What are the types of conversations that you have?
- Of those, which types are easily automated?
- Which can be fully automated versus partially automated?
- What are the goals of your bots?
- What should be the content of automatic responses?
|Bot type||Definition||Goal||How to use with Conversation Builder*|
|Standard||Collects information with the intention of handing off to an agent. Examples: form fill, FAQs, light data collection, etc.||Automate simple tasks to save agent time||Create the bot flow from scratch.|
|Routing||Collects information and routes to a skill in the platform. This could include up-front, pre-chat survey questions or a welcome message before routing.||Facilitate and automate tasks||The bot serves routing cards (structured content) with buttons. Each button can be assigned with a different action for example "transfer conversation to skill X" or direct consumers to self-serve assets.|
|Post-conversation survey||Collects information after the conversation||Measure consumer satisfaction||Customize the survey including: predefined questions (CSAT, NPS and FCR), custom/free text questions, and logic between the questions.|
|FAQ||Answers consumer questions free-form||Resolve/contain the conversation||Use Conversation Builder's KnowledgeAI interaction.|
|Transactional||An end-to-end, customer service bot (e.g., order status, bill payment, password reset). Likely includes an integration.||Resolve/complete the consumer journey without the need of an agent||Add relevant integrations to enable back-end transactions.|
|Sales||Fulfill orders and complete purchases.||Fulfill orders and complete purchases.||Use the prebuilt bot templates. Shopify & Apple Pay integration included.|
This info (last column) only applies if you're using LivePerson’s Conversation Builder to build the bot.
You'll need to choose how to create, host, and connect the bot.
- Method: Conversation Builder offers a high-value solution to address a wide variety of automation workflows and use cases in multiple industries. Conversation Builder bots can carry out a variety of automatic tasks and communicate with consumers to help take the load off agents. Learn more about Conversation Builder.
- Host: Hosting is done automatically by Conversation Builder.
- Connection: Simply connect to LivePerson, and choose which bot to run at any given moment.
- Method: Bot connectors are pre-built connectors to certain bots. You can bring your own bots (BYOB), including custom bots, and integrate any third-party bot technology. This is one of the main benefits of LivePerson as an open, conversational platform: Any chatbot created by you or a third-party can be fully integrated into LivePerson ecosystem and become a component of your customer care team.
- Host: These bots run on your server. Or, depending on the bot framework, occasionally the bot framework handles hosting.
- Connection: Connect the bot to LivePerson using our bot connectors. Follow the guides on specific bot connectors.
Once your bot is hosted, running, and connected, the next step is to assign conversations to the bot.
How to assign bots to specific skills: Create skills for different uses cases. All conversations routed to a specific bot skill will automatically be assigned to that bot first, and routed to a human after if needed.
LivePerson includes a comprehensive set of management and reporting capabilities that can be used to manage both LivePerson bots or any third-party bots alongside agents. Managers can manage bots the same as human agents, in a real-time dashboard with flexible and detailed reports that helps evaluate success.
Check out our Developer Center for more in-depth documentation. Please share your documentation feedback with us using the feedback button. We'd be happy to hear from you.